Launching my plan for Birmingham at South and City College with Councillor John Clancy, Leader of Birmingham City Council
- Use spending on new infrastructure to create 8,000 new apprenticeships for our young people;
- Cap bus and tram fares at £4.40 a day, double the tram network, new stations for Moseley, Kings Heath and East Birmingham - and boost Birmingham Airport to create 167,000 new jobs;
- Create a £1million taskforce to divert young people from crime and drugs;
- Double new affordable housing - and end the Tory scandal of homelessness;
- A Living Wage Mayor championing a fair day’s pay of £8.45 an hour.
“We moved to the West Midlands when I was six. I grew up here. This is the place I call home. When I speak to people across the region, they want to know that when they vote for a West Midlands Mayor, they’re voting for someone from here. My life is here.
I’m fortunate to have had a rich and diverse career, working as a sole-trader in the private sector; as a Birmingham Member of Parliament and a government minister; and as a national newspaper columnist.
I know how the corridors of power in London work - and what is needed to get a better deal for the West Midlands so we can run our own place.”
Thank you. Siôn. Labour’s candidate for West Midlands Mayor.